I like to list my favorite tools, so I can keep track of them and I can also point friends/students/colleagues to this list. This is a first draft. I will add more items as I remember/discover/have time.
- Windows SysInternals: Collection of the best and most advanced system tools for the windows operating system. It has many tools that deserve their own separate entry.
- WinDirStat: Why is my hard disk full? The best free tool I found to answer this question.
- Meld: I love Beyond Compare but it is not free. Meld is the best free tool I found. I’ve also used WinMerge, but Meld seems to have a more intuitive UI.
- FlashBack Express: I’ve used the free version of Flashback Express for several semesters to record my lectures. It’s the best free tool I’ve found and I have no complaints!
- VSCode is my favorite general purpose editor. Specially when working in a ‘Directory’. I regularly use it for python, HTML, LaTeX, C++, Jekyll, … .
- ConEMU: I open many terminal windows for various tasks. It’s nice to have them all in one window, but different tabs.
- Windows Password Reset: I tried several tools. This one worked for me on Windows 10.